Grade Book: Setting a Custom Grade Scale
Modified on 06/07/2016
The following directions will allow a teacher to set his/her own grade-scale to allow the grade book to auto calculate a letter grade, based on the teacher's grading scale and not the traditional 90% = A, 80% = B, 70% = C, etc...
Teachers can still manually override each student’s grade that is posted to the report card.
Set up your Custom Grading Scale
1. Go to the Grade Book ---> Grade Book Setup screen and click the Report Card Score Types button
2. Locate "GenesisGrading" report card score type and click "Duplicate." (It's VERY important that you select the GenesisGrading score type and no others when duplicating.)
3. Scroll to the bottom of the list to find "GenesisGrading (Copy)" and click on the title. Rename your grading scale and save.
4. Click the edit icon for each letter grade you want to change and enter the appropriate range for your grade scale that will calculate a letter grade for the report card...A, B, C, D, etc.. with the high score and low score covering the range between marks, down to the “one-hundredth” (ie 85.00 - 89.99). In the example below, this is a grade scale that will take a 83% and make it a “C”
5. Click the green save button. If you get "overlap" error messages when saving, make sure the lowest sequence number goes with the highest score, the highest sequence number goes with the lowest score and the rest are properly arranged in between.
6. Click Back
Use Your Custom Grade Scale
1. Open the "Final Grade Config" screen. Path Grade Book ---> Final Grade Config
2. On the "Final Grade Defaults" tab, select the grading scale you created above for all grading periods. Click the "Save Defaults" and "Save & Apply to All Students" buttons. Note: by default, this grade scale will only apply to your current class. You can also apply this scale to your other sections by checking the boxes at the bottom of the screen.