What to do if Synergy freezes, kicks you out, or generates error messages after a short amount of idle time.
Synergy is set to take users to a lock screen after they have been idle for over an hour. This is to protect confidentiual student data. From the lock screen, the user simply re-enters their password to get back into the system.
Some users, however, are finding that Synergy will "freeze" on them and generate error messages after a short amount of idle time, often just over 15 minutes. They are then unable to do anything in the system and have to quit their browser to get back in to Synergy.
This article will show you how to change settings on your Mac to avoid this problem. Note: this may help with other network related issues as well.
1. Open System Preferences under the Apple menu
2. In the System preferences window, click on the "Energy Saver" icon.
3. Click the lock in the lower left corner of the Energy Saver window to make changes. You will be prompted to enter your login password.
4. You will need to change your settings for both Battery and for Power Adapter to match the ones pictured below.
5. When you make the changes shown above, you will get a warning about your computer using more energy with these settings. Click OK.
6. Close the Energy Saver window and you are done.