How to use an interpretation scale to reduce the impact of a low scoring assignment on students' overall class grades.
An interpretation scale reduces the impact of a low scoring assignment on a student's overall class grade. As an example, you could set up the grade book to count an assignment score of 0 as earning 50% of the points possible for the assignment. 50% still constitutes a failing grade, but will not have as much of a negative impact as the student receiving none of the assignment points.
Since there is no interpretation of scores going on, the student receives 10 of the 20 points possible, or 50%. This gives the student a class grade of F
With interpretation in place, the score of 0 on the "Week 7 Homework Packet" assignment is interpreted as earning 50% of the possible points, or 5 of the 10 possible for the assignment.
The student now receives 15 of the 20 points possible or 75%. This gives the student a class grade of C. Note: with an interpretation scale active, the percent value in the grade column does not display.
1. Go to Grade Book --> Grade Book Setup and click on the "Report Card Score Types" button.
2. Find the GenesisGrading score type and click "Duplicate." Confirm this choice. The page will reload.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the GenesisGrading (copy) link.
4. Change the name from GenesisGrading (copy) to whatever you want. Check the "Available as Interpretation Scale" checkbox. Click "Save"
5. On the right, click the X next to all scores except F. This will flag them for deletion. Click "Save" at the top of the screen and confirm your choice.
6. Click the pencil icon to edit the F score, and enter the values you want to use. The SEQ value doesn't matter in this context.
7. Save your changes.
1. Return to the main grade book setup screen and click on the "Grade Book Settings" tab.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and from the "Report Card Score Type Used for Interpretation Scale" pulldown menu, select the score type you created above.
3. You will get a warning about this changing grade book marks for the current school year. Confirm this choice.
4. Your interpretation scale is now active. Important note: It may take some time for your grade book to reflect the newly calculated class grades.
5. You can always turn off your interpretation scale from this pulldown menu if desired.
StudentVUE and ParentVUE will show the actual assignment score as well as the points earned.