On Monday, November 11th, Google made a change to how third parties like the Synergy grade book communicate with Google Classroom. This change, which came without advance notice from Google, caused a critical bug that prevented all teachers from logging in to TeacherVUE. To restore access to TeacherVUE, CTA (our Synergy hosts at the ESD) had to disable the integration feature completely.
We posted the Synergy login announcement to the right on November 12th.
Thursday, December 12
Please review our recommendations below on how to get sync up and running again without creating duplicate assignments.
Monday, December 9
CTA tentatively plans on installing the update on
Monday, December 2
Thursday, November 28
Friday, November 22
While Google Sync is Disabled
While Google sync is disabled, we recommend that you manually recreate your Google Classroom assignments & scores in the Synergy grade book. When Google sync is restored all Google Classroom assignments from that date forward will sync to the Synergy grade book.
When Google Sync is Available Again
Once the patch is installed on the evening of December 20th, the "Sync Google Assignments From" date will be set to December 20th for everyone to prevent duplicate assignments from being created.
Please read all of the notes below to make sure you get set up correctly and avoid duplicated assignments.
1. If the Google "G" is grey when it shows up again, you will need to click on it and grant access again. (full instructions) If granting access, you will see one of the two screens below. If the "G" is still colored in you can skip this step.
2. Go to Grade Book → Grade Book Setup and click the "Class Settings" button. Edit each class you want to sync and make sure Google Classroom is enabled.
3. What you do in this step depends on what you have been doing with assignments while Google sync has been disabled. Google sync was disabled November 12th through December 20th.
4. At the top of the screen, hit the green "Save" button to save your settings.
5. To give everyone time to adjust their settings, CTA has un-checked the "Session Auto Sync" setting for all users. Go to the grade book for one of your sync enabled classes and do a manual sync to make sure you get the assignments you expect and don't get unwanted duplicates. Repeat steps 2 & 3 and adjust your sync dates if necessary.
6. If everything looks good, click the and then the gear icon in the lower left corner to open your sync settings. Check the "Session Auto Sync" checkbox. (full instructions)
If you run into any issues, please do a tech request. Be sure to put it in the Synergy queue (not the Google queue) for the quickest response.
The sync process will only sync assignments created in Synergy if they are due on the current date or a date in the future. That said, you can "cook the books" so to speak, to get them to sync.
1. Note the due dates of your Synergy created assignments that you want to sync. The easiest way to do this is to run the "Detailed Progress Report" for a student in each class, making sure that the "Show Due Date" box is checked. You can uncheck all the other boxes.
2. Go to the Grade Book ⇾ Assignments screen. Change the due date on all the "missing from Google Classroom" assignments to the current date. Save your changes.
3. Return to your main grade book screen and do a manual "Sync From Google" as described above.
4. After verifying that the assignments are showing up in Google Classroom, repeat step 2 and adjust the dates back to their originals using the Detailed Progress Report as a reference. Now that Google has established a sync with those assignments, it will continue to sync even after you change the dates back to their originals.