How to set up grade book to use a non-traditional grading scale for assignments.
At this time, there are two options for TTSD teachers to set up their gradebooks to use a non-traditional grading scale for assignments and results in posting a letter grade to the report card. The following setup assumes a basic understanding of setting up TeacherVue Assignment Types, Grade Book Setup and creating new assignments. Each option also assumes all assignments will use the same Grade Book Score Type for every assignment in the term (except in Option 1 where noted).
The following approach allows teachers to create assignments, categorize them by standards, score them using proficiency-style marks, report these assignments to students/parents via StudentVue/ParentVue and manually enter a letter score that reflects the teacher’s proficiency grading method. This option will not produce an overall letter grade nor percent; the teacher will need to manually determine the final letter grade for each student.
1. In Grade Book Setup, set up Assignment Types:
a. Path Grade Book ---> Grade Book Setup ---> Assignment Types button
b. Create an assignment type for each Standard the course will measure.
c. Create an assignment type for the current letter grade (“Current Grade”)
2. In Grade Book Setup, set up Assignment Types weighting:
a. Path Grade Book ---> Grade Book Setup ---> Assignment Weighting tab
b. Enter “0”% for each Assignment Type created for a Standard
c. Enter “100”% for Current Grade assignment type
3. In Grade Book Setup, create a new Grade Book Score Type that matches your proficiency model (can use or duplicate “DISTRICT WIDE ‘Rubric’.”)
a. Path Grade Book ---> Grade Book Setup ---> Grade Book Score Types button
4. When creating any new assignments (with exception of the Current Grade), three components are important:
a. Set the “Type” field to the appropriate Standard (created in Step 1, above)
b. “Score Type” = your rubric (created in Step 3, above)
c. KEEP the check-mark in box for “Show in Parent/Student Portal”
5. For the final grade (both for parents/students and the report card), a SINGLE assignment will be created with:
a. Suggested Assignment Name = “Current Grade”
b. “Type” = “Final Grade”
c. “Score Type” = Letter Grade
d. Change Date of Assignment to first day of term
e. KEEP the check-mark in box for “Show in Parent/Student Portal”
f. Teacher will view proficiency-graded assignments by standard and manually determine a final, overall letter score.
i. The score entered in this assignment is the letter grade parents/student see and also the grade posted on the report card.
This option will allow the teacher to set their own grade-scale to allow the grade book to auto calculate a letter grade, based on assignments that use the teacher’s proficiency scale. For example on a proficiency scale of 1-4, if a student receives 5 assessments with 4’s and 4 assessment with 3’s and and 1 assessment with a 2, and the teacher wants this to be an A. The grade book will calculate the student as having earned 85% of the points possible (34 points earned divided by the 40 possible) which, on the default grading scale, falls within the range defined for a B grade. To have 85% convert into an A grade, the teacher’s grading scale needs to be adjusted to allow 85-100% = A.
Teachers can still manually override each student’s grade when posting to the report card.
1. Under My Grade Book Score Types, create a My Grade Book Score Type based on your proficiency scale
a. Path Grade Book ---> Grade Book setup ---> Grade Book Score Types button
b. Click "Add Score Type" to create a new score type based on your grading methods.
c. Examples: 1-4 or E, M, N, B with values to be used for calculating a grade with this mark
2. Under My Report Card Score Types, duplicate the "GenesisGrading" score type and rename it. (It's VERY important that you select the GenesisGrading score type and no others when copying.)
a. Path Grade Book ---> Grade Book setup ---> Report Card Score Type button
b. Duplicate the "GenesisGrading" score type and rename it. (It's VERY important that you select the GenesisGrading score type and no others when copying.)
b. Enter the appropriate range for your proficiency grading model that will calculate a letter grade for the report card...(A, B, C, D, etc..). For instance, this is the grade scale that will take a 70% and make it a “B”.
3. Under Grade Book Setup, “Grade Book Settings” tab, MAKE SURE YOUR "INTERPRETATION SCALE" IS SET TO "<<No Interpretation Scale>>".
4. Under Grade Book menu, set Final Grade Config for each term by selecting the Report Card Score Type (step 3, above) for “Set all students to score type:”
a. Path Grade Book ---> Final Grade Config
b. Click the "Save Defaults" and "Apply to All Students" buttons.